Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
Am posting this Venezuelan recipe as part of my participation in Zaar's World Tour 4! NOTE: Recipezaar does not recognize the ingredient 'harina pan' (available in South American grocery stores) which MUST be used in place of the 'corn flour' ingredient!
- 1182.95 ml corn
- 59.14 ml heavy cream
- 1 egg
- 29.58 ml cornflour
- 29.58 ml granulated sugar
- 1.23 ml salt
- 59.14 ml cooking oil
- 340.19 g gouda cheese (cut into 12 sticks)
- Puree corn & press through sieve to yield about 3 cups.
- To the corn add cream, egg, flour, sugar & salt, & mix well before letting batter rest 15 minutes.
- Onto hot griddle or cast iron skillet, pour 1 tablespoon oil, then pour 1/4 cup batter for each pancake.
- Fry, turning once until lightly browned & firm on both sides.
- Remove from griddle & serve wrapped around a slice of cheese.
This is mildly sweet and very delicious corn based pancakes. I tried making these using 1/4 C per recipe and I could not flip it easily - kept on breaking up. Once I reduced the batter to about 2 1/2 inch diameter, had much easier time cooking and flipping these. The trick is to make sure one side is nicely dried a bit before turning. Instead of eating these with cheese, they were served with a dollop of sour cream. I am now going to look for more recipes using harina pan. Thank you Sydney Mike for introducing me to a new ingredient and posting this yummy recipe.