Recipe by Sydney Mike
Am posting this Venezuelan recipe as part of my participation in Zaar's World Tour 4! NOTE: Recipezaar does not recognize the ingredient 'harina pan' (available in South American grocery stores) which MUST be used in place of the 'corn flour' ingredient!
Top Review by Rinshinomori
This is mildly sweet and very delicious corn based pancakes. I tried making these using 1/4 C per recipe and I could not flip it easily - kept on breaking up. Once I reduced the batter to about 2 1/2 inch diameter, had much easier time cooking and flipping these. The trick is to make sure one side is nicely dried a bit before turning. Instead of eating these with cheese, they were served with a dollop of sour cream. I am now going to look for more recipes using harina pan. Thank you Sydney Mike for introducing me to a new ingredient and posting this yummy recipe.
- 5 cups corn
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons cornflour
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup cooking oil
- 12 ounces gouda cheese (cut into 12 sticks)
Directions See How It's Made
- Puree corn & press through sieve to yield about 3 cups.
- To the corn add cream, egg, flour, sugar & salt, & mix well before letting batter rest 15 minutes.
- Onto hot griddle or cast iron skillet, pour 1 tablespoon oil, then pour 1/4 cup batter for each pancake.
- Fry, turning once until lightly browned & firm on both sides.
- Remove from griddle & serve wrapped around a slice of cheese.