Recipe by kitchenslave03
From Cooking Light. I don't always make the butter, but I do always double the chili powder and jalapenos.
- 88.74 ml butter, softened and divided
- 236.59 ml sweet onion, chopped fine
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 236.59 ml fresh corn kernels or 236.59 ml frozen corn
- 9.85 ml jalapenos, minced
- 4.92 ml salt, divided
- 236.59 ml flour, about 4 1/2 oz
- 236.59 ml yellow cornmeal
- 59.14 ml sugar
- 4.92 ml baking powder
- 2.46 ml baking soda
- 2.46 ml chili powder
- 295.73 ml low-fat buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 large egg white
- 14.79 ml fresh lime juice
- 14.79 ml honey
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Melt one T butter in a large skillet over med-high. Add onion and garlic; cook 2 min, stirring occassionally. Add corn, jalapenos and 1/4 t salt; cook 2 minute Remove from heat; add 2 T butter, tossing to melt.
- Combine flour, remaining salt, cornmeal and next 4 ingredients in a large bowl. Combine buttermilk, eggs, and egg white in a large bowl. Add onion mixture to wet ingredients. Add buttermilk mixture to dry ingredients and stir just until moist.
- Spoon batter into 15 muffin cups, either greased or lined. Bake at 400 for 20 min or til light brown. Cool in pan 5 min then completely on wire rack.
- Combine remaining butter, lime juice and honey in a small bowl. If using unsalted butter season to taste.