Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
From Cooking Light magazine. You can make this hotter using habanero instead of the jalapeno.
Make and share this Corn Muffins With Jalapenos and Lime Butter recipe from Food.com.
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened, and divided
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup fresh corn kernels (about 2 ears)
- 2 teaspoons minced jalapenos
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 1⁄4 cups buttermilk (fat free is fine)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 large egg white
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Preheat oven to 400º.
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat; Add onion and garlic to pan; cook 2 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add corn, jalapeno and 1/4 teaspoon salt; cook 2 minutes. Remove from heat; add 2 tablespoons butter, tossing to melt.
- Combine flour, remaining 3/4 teasopon salt, cornmeal, and next 4 ingredients (through chili powder) in a large bowl.
- Combine buttermilk, eggs and egg white in a large bowl.
- Add onion mixture to buttermilk mixture. Add buttermilk mixture to flour mixture, stirring just until moist.
- Spoon batter into 15 muffin cups coated with cooking spray.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool in pan 5 minutes on a wire rack; remove from pan. Cool completely.
- Combine remaining 3 tablespoons butter, juice and honey in a small bowl; stir until well blended.
- Serve with muffins.
Loved this recipe. The muffins were awesome but the lime/honey butter was out of this world. What a great combination of flavors and they all worked perfectly together to create a memorable muffin. I enjoyed these for lunch and then had more for dinner. I couldn't help myself, they are that good. Full of flavor and textures, something for everyone. Made for ZWT7 (Witchin Kitchen)
I am giving this a 5 star for the muffins alone!!! These muffins are great. I love the way the corn kernels add that extra something!! I must admit I was not real keen on the lime butter. Just me I suppose! I like plain butter on mine!! Will be making these again for sure! Made for ZWT7 and the Saucy Silverodes.
Made exactly as written, a rarity for me. The muffins are a bit denser than the cornbread I'm used to but packed with flavor! I do think they need a touch more salt, though. I got 18 muffins pretty well full. In my convection oven, I baked them for 15 minutes. The crowning glory here is the lime butter! I could eat that stuff with a spoon. Getting the lime juice into solution with the butter & honey was a bit challeging but when whipped with a fork, it complied. (That'll teach that lime to be contrary ;-) Thanks for sharing!