Prep 45 mins
Cook 20 mins
America's Test Kitchen
- 3 slices bacon, chopped fine
- 10 scallions, sliced thin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup whole milk
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 8 tablespoons . unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 2 large eggs
- 8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (2 cups)
- Adjust oven rack to the middle position and preheat oven to 400°.
- Grease a 12-cup muffin tin.
- Fry the bacon in a small skillet over med-high heat until crisp, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the scallions, salt, and pepper; cook until the scallions are heated through, about 1 minute.
- Transfer the mixture to a paper-towel lined plate; let cool.
- In a bowl, whisk the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together.
- In another bowl, whisk the sour cream, milk, sugar, melted butter, and eggs together until combined.
- Gently fold the sour cream mixture into the flour mixture with a rubber spatula until just combined (do not overmix).
- Gently fold in the bacon mixture and 1 1/2 cups of cheddar cheese.
- Using a greased 1/3 cup measure, portion the batter into each muffin cup.
- Sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup cheddar over the tops of the muffins.
- Bake until golden brown and a pick comes out with just a few crumbs attached, 15-20 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through the baking.
- Let the muffins cool in the pan for 5 minutes, the turn out onto a wire rack and let cool for 10 minutes before serving.