Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 24 mins
A great after school snack or side dish, possibilities are endless. Recipe courtesy of The Sneaky Chef: www.TheSneakyChef.com
- 3 tablespoons white flour
- 3 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons wheat germ
- 1⁄2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 1⁄2 cup corn
- 1⁄4 cup chocolate chips (optional) or 1⁄4 cup shredded low-fat cheese (optional)
white puree (use 1/2 cup)
- 2 cups cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1 medium zucchini, peeled and rough chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 -2 tablespoon water, if necessary
- Steam cauliflower in a vegetable steamer over 2 inches of water, using a tightly-covered pot, for about 10 to 12 minutes until very tender. Alternatively, place cauliflower in a microwave-safe bowl , cover with water, and microwave on high for 8 to 10 minutes until very tender.
- While waiting for the cauliflower to finish steaming, start to pulse the raw peeled zucchini with the lemon juice only (no water at this point). Drain the cooked cauliflower. Working in batches if necessary, add it to the pulsed zucchini in the bowl of the food processor with one tablespoon of water. Puree on high until smooth. Stop occasionally and push contents from the top to the bottom. If necessary, use the second tablespoon of water to make a smooth (but not wet) puree.
- Makes about 2 cups of puree. Double recipe if you want to store even more, which can be done in the refrigerator for up to 3 days, or freeze 1/4 cup portions in sealed plastic bags or the small plastic containers.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a muffin tin with paper liners.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the Flour Blend, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In another large bowl, whisk together the eggs and sugar until well combined, then whisk in the oil, White Puree, and pureed corn. Fold the wet ingredients into the dry and mix until flour is just moistened (don’t over-mix or the muffins will be dense).
- Scoop the batter into muffin tins, filling just over the top. If you’re using mini muffin cups, scale back quantities to fit into the smaller sized cups. Top with a few chocolate chips, or sprinkle with shredded cheese, and bake for 22 to 24 minutes until tops are golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.