Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Moist, flavorful, and a welcomed addition to breakfast. Great with chorizo, scrambled eggs, and salsa. Adapted from "Onions: A Country Garden Cookbook". The use of green onions here helps make these muffins so zesty as well as the optional use of ancho or chipotle powder for more of a spice. Either way, on as a Sunday Supper on the farm, or for a later Sunday breakfast you can't go wrong. Remember you have a ton of work out in the garden ....so you better fill up now.
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup oil (your choice)
- 3⁄4 cup medium-grind cornmeal (blue or yellow)
- 1 1⁄4 cups unbleached white flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground chili powder (optional, ancho or chipotle)
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped green onion, include green tops
- 1⁄4 cup red onion (grated)
- 3⁄4 cup monterey jack cheese
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro, fresh chopped
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray muffin pan with cooking spray. (12 cup).
- In mixing bowl, combine buttermilk, brown sugar, sour cream, egg, and oil until blended.
- In another mixing bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and chili powder.
- Add dry ingredients to buttermilk mixture and fold until just blended. (don't stir to much!)
- Fold in onions, cheese, and cilantro.
- Divide batter among muffin cups (3/4 full).
- Bake 15 minutes. (firm to the touch)
- Let cool in pan for a brief time, (5 minutes) and serve warm.
Just the extra 'mmmm' factor to make the the typical corn muffin a gourmet corn muffin. We so appreciated this recipe today paired with our chili. Thank-you!
Tender, moist and flavorful! The chili comes through very lightly. Not too sweet. Onions and cilantro was a yummy touch. Served with carnitas.
Andi love, you know I can't seen to make anything without adjustment so here we go. I omitted the sugar entirely and used 3/4 cup of whole wheat flour with a 1/2 cup of unbleached white. The cheese was fat reduced. Loved the use of buttermilk and sour cream (fat free) along with the onions, chili powder and cilantro. The texture came out light and perfect, the flavor is marvelous!