Prep 50 mins
Cook 0 mins
I was going to cook up some traditional Cajun maquechoux one night, but instead decided to use its typical ingredients as the basis for a salad. It's a refreshing change from the usual corn preparations, and shrimp could be used in place of the crawfish but I don't believe it has quite the same flavor. Prep time includes allowing dressing to sit for awhile.
- 1 (29 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
- 8 ounces cooked crawfish tail meat
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 3 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1⁄2 green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 4 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon coarse-grind black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- In a large bowl, combine corn, crawfish tail meat, celery, tomatoes, bell pepper and onions.
- In a smaller bowl, whisk together the olive oil, sugar, cider vinegar, salt, peppers and garlic powder.
- Let sit at least 30 minutes so sugar dissolves completely.
- Gently mix dressing into salad and combine thoroughly.