1/2 Photos of Corn Maque Choux (Fried Corn)
I had no idea this dish even had a name until I grew up. We had it any time we had fried chicken, which was often. I love this dish - to me it is comfort food.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In the skillet, heat the butter over medium low heat until melted.
- 2Add the onion and saute until wilted but not brown.
- 3Add the bell peppers and the corn and stir to coat everything with butter, sprinkle with some salt, pepper, and cayenne, and continue cooking over med-low heat, stirring frequently, until all liquid (if any) completely evaporates, the vegetables start to take on a slight caramalization and the whole room smells really, really good.
- 4(This should take about 20 minutes).
- 5Taste, adjust the seasonings if you need to, and serve.
- 6Note: I say to use a cast iron skillet because, as with cornbread, I believe this dish suffers in flavor if it is not cooked in one.
- 7However, if you don't have one, you can use another skillet- just know that it would be much better cooked in a cast iron skillet.
Browse Our Top Corn Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Corn Maque Choux (Fried Corn)
Serving Size: 1 (217 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 202.5
- Calories from Fat 63
- Total Fat 7.0 g
- Saturated Fat 3.8 g
- Cholesterol 15.2 mg
- Sodium 7.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.7 g
- Sugars 2.1 g
- Protein 5.2 g