Recipe by justcallmetoni
Corn latkes? Yes, corn latkes. Why should the humble tuber have all the fun? These are tasty variation on a Hanukkah favorite. So good, you shouldn’t wait ‘til then to make some. Depending on your mood you can serve them sweet or savory.
Top Review by moontainence
I made half the recipe of these because i didnt know what to expect and i didnt want to waste too much corn if it wasnt good. I used one can of corn (1.5 cups) and halved the rest of the recipe (i put a whole egg instead of 1.5 egg whites). To make it look more colorful and festive i added some scallions and diced red pepper to the mix. They looked almost too good to eat and tasted delicious served with sour cream. Perfect twist on traditional chanukah latkes.
- 3 cups frozen corn kernels (I've tried fresh as well and frozen works better)
- 1 teaspoon sugar or 1 teaspoon Splenda sugar substitute
- 3 large egg whites
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons canola oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Place two non-stick baking sheets in the oven and preheat to 450°F.
- Cook the corn in a medium saucepan with a cup of boiling water ‘until tender, about 2 mintes. Drain the corn in a colander and let cool. Press the corn lightly to squeeze out excess water. No wringing.
- Puree 1 cup of the corn kernels in a food processor. Add salt to taste, sugar and egg whites and process until just mixed. Transfer the mixture to a bowl and stir in the flour, then the remaining corn kernels.
- Brush 2 teaspoons of oil on the now hot baking sheets. Spoon small mounds of the latke mixture on the sheets forming 2 to 2 ½ inch pancakes. The sheet should sizzle a bit when the batter hits it. Leave one inch between each latke.
- Bake the latkes in the oven until golden brown, 6 to 8 minutes per side,turning once with a spatula. (When you turn the latkes, try to flip them onto spots on the baking sheet that still have oil.).
- Serving suggestions: If you are in a sweet mood serve latkes with sour cream and strawberiy or raspberry preserves. Savroy more your style, then try sour cream alone or with some chopped scallions.