Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Corn latkes? Yes, corn latkes. Why should the humble tuber have all the fun? These are tasty variation on a Hanukkah favorite. So good, you shouldn’t wait ‘til then to make some. Depending on your mood you can serve them sweet or savory.
- 3 cups frozen corn kernels (I've tried fresh as well and frozen works better)
- 1 teaspoon sugar or 1 teaspoon Splenda sugar substitute
- 3 large egg whites
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons canola oil
- Place two non-stick baking sheets in the oven and preheat to 450°F.
- Cook the corn in a medium saucepan with a cup of boiling water ‘until tender, about 2 mintes. Drain the corn in a colander and let cool. Press the corn lightly to squeeze out excess water. No wringing.
- Puree 1 cup of the corn kernels in a food processor. Add salt to taste, sugar and egg whites and process until just mixed. Transfer the mixture to a bowl and stir in the flour, then the remaining corn kernels.
- Brush 2 teaspoons of oil on the now hot baking sheets. Spoon small mounds of the latke mixture on the sheets forming 2 to 2 ½ inch pancakes. The sheet should sizzle a bit when the batter hits it. Leave one inch between each latke.
- Bake the latkes in the oven until golden brown, 6 to 8 minutes per side,turning once with a spatula. (When you turn the latkes, try to flip them onto spots on the baking sheet that still have oil.).
- Serving suggestions: If you are in a sweet mood serve latkes with sour cream and strawberiy or raspberry preserves. Savroy more your style, then try sour cream alone or with some chopped scallions.
I made half the recipe of these because i didnt know what to expect and i didnt want to waste too much corn if it wasnt good. I used one can of corn (1.5 cups) and halved the rest of the recipe (i put a whole egg instead of 1.5 egg whites). To make it look more colorful and festive i added some scallions and diced red pepper to the mix. They looked almost too good to eat and tasted delicious served with sour cream. Perfect twist on traditional chanukah latkes.
These are excellent and so easy to put together. I made half the recipe for the two of us using 2 egg whites and upping the flour just a little bit. I used canola cooking spray and that worked great. I will be making these again. Thanks Made for Zaar Stars Tag Game :)
These were quick and easy, and turned out fantastic