Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr
A nice, hearty soup, perfect for a cold day. Feel free to sprinkle the top of the bowl with shredded cheese and a dollop of sour cream. It's also good with crushed tortilla chips mixed in.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 3 cups frozen sliced carrots (or 2 -3 fresh carrots, sliced)
- 2 (1 ounce) packets taco seasoning
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 1 (15 ounce) can hominy
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans
- Tony Chachere's salt-free cajun spice
- Heat oil over medium-high heat in a large soup pot and saute onion for a couple of minutes.
- Add beef and brown.
- Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, water, seasoning and carrots. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Add corn, hominy, and beans and simmer for 15 minutes.
We both loved this. Used low sodium Taco seasoning and tomatoes, and felt no additional salt needed when we checked the soup. Followed the recipe except for adding two minced garlic cloves. Next step is to try it using soy "meat" crumbles for our vegetarian daughter.
This was okay, but tasted a little flat. If I make it again, I will add garlic, replace some of the water with beef stock, omit the carrots and cook it a lot longer.