Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
These delicious little cakes are so good with pretty much anything! They don't take much time to make and kids really like them too. Enjoy!
- 1⁄2 cup cornmeal
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 cups frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 1 green onion, finely chopped
- oil, as needed
- Whisk together cornmeal, flour, chili powder, baking powder and salt in a bowl.
- In another bowl, whisk together egg, milk, butter and honey. Stir in corn niblets and green onion.
- Stir egg mixture into cornmeal mixture.
- Heat a large nonstick frying pan over medium heat. Lightly oil pan. Scoop portions of 2 tablespoons each, 3 at a time, into pan. Cook until golden, about 1 minutes per side. Repeat with remaining batter.
I followed the recipe but halved everything except for the green onion. I liked the corn flavor but thought the chili powder was a little too strong and was surprised not to be able to taste the onion very much. I found the cakes to be a bit heavy in texture. Made for ZWT 9 Family picks
I added extra honey and baked them in mini muffin tins. Delicious! Thanks for sharing the recipe.
The recipe was scaled to 2 servings and I ate almost all for lunch today. Since the recipe was scaled I used the whole egg and only a touch of milk. Cajun spices were used in place of the chili powder and I might up the spice a little next time around. They made a delicious lunch topped with Greek yogurt and garnished with green onions. Made for ZWT9. Thanksmuch.