Recipe by PaulaG
This recipe is adapted from Cuisine at Home. It is really relative easy to make and the presentation is so elegant. The original recipe called for fresh corn; however, I made it using frozen corn that had been defrosted.
Top Review by misscain
The shrimp was right on and corn in the flan is a great flavor with the shrimp. The flan was just ok with us. I am definitely going to play around with this and get this to my taste and make this a company dish. Thank you for sharing. I love it when a recipe inspires me to experiment so 5 stars for me.
- 2 cups corn kernels (defrosted if frozen)
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1⁄2 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 3 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 pinch white pepper
- 1 lb large shrimp, peeled, deveined, tails left on
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- fresh chives, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Coat six 4-oz flan molds with nonstick spray or olive oil.
- Blend corn, half and half and feta in a blender until almost smooth.
- Add the eggs, yolks, salt and pepper pulsing to combine.
- Place the flan dishes in a roasting pan and fill with corn mixture.
- Place the pan in the oven and pour hot water half-way up the sides of the flan dishes.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes, or until the tip of a knife comes out clen.
- Remove flans from the water bath and cool 3 to 5 minutes before unmolding on serving plates.
- For the shrimp, combine the flour and seasonings in a bowl; add the shrimp and toss well to coat.
- In a large skillet, warm the oil and butter over medium-high heat, add the shrimp and cook just until browned on both sides but not cooked through; transfer to a plate.
- Deglaze the pan with wine, scraping up any brown bits on the bottom of pan.
- Simmer until reduced by half, approximately 2 to 4 minutes; add the broth and simmer an additional 2 to 4 minutes.
- Add shrimp back to pan and cook until firm and sauce thickens, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in butter and let melt; spoon the shrimp and sauce over unmolded flans; garnish with chopped chives.