Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
An uncomplicated treat for breakfast. These muffins have great texture and huge taste appeal. Great with butter and/or jelly.
- 354.88 ml all-purpose flour
- 14.79 ml baking powder
- 2.46 ml salt
- 118.29 ml sugar
- 473.18 ml corn flakes, slightly crushed (not frosted flakes)
- 295.73 ml milk
- 2.46 ml vanilla (optional)
- 1 egg
- 78.07 ml vegetable oil
- Stir together flour, baking powder, salt and sugar; set aside.
- Combine crushed corn flakes and milk in large mixing bowl.
- Let stand about 2 minutes or until cereal is slightly softened. (DO NOT let corn flakes soak in milk any longer than 2 minutes!).
- Add egg and oil; beat well. Stir in vanilla.
- Add flour mixture, stirring only until combined.
- Portion batter evenly into 12 greased 2 1/2-inch muffin pan cups.
- Bake at 400° about 20 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Serve warm.
- NOTE: Variation: Decrease sugar to 2 tablespoons-- Add 1/2 cup shredded Monterey jack cheese with jalapeño peppers to egg mixture before adding flour mixture.
its perfect! I topped it with plum rum jam while baking. I's like to find a substitute for sugar though.
Made a good looking muffin. I put a small dollop of Zentis strawberry-rhubarb-vanilla preserves in the middle before baking. Results in a soft muffin with tender crumb, ideal with coffee and the like. I used it to finish off the cornflakes-- although it's a delicious recipe, I don't see myself making it again, unless I'm stuck with another huge box of plain corn flakes.