This soup was even good in the hot weather. We tried it and it was great! Light enough for us not to have the stuffed feeling as the kind you get with a heavy soup like this. I think I'd best just hush my mouth and let you find out. Cooking Light Magazine, August/07 Issue.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 slices apple-smoked bacon
- 1 3/4 cups diced onions
- 3 1/2 cups fresh corn kernels (about 7 ears)
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 1/2 cup 2% low-fat milk
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- 8 ounces fingerling potatoes (slices 1/4-inch-thick rounds)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- crushed red pepper flakes
- fresh thyme sprig (optional)
- 1Cook bacon in a large Dutch oven over medium heat until crisp.
- 2Remove bacon from pan; crumble.
- 3Add onion to drippings in pan; cook 8 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally.
- 4Add corn, chopped thyme, and garlic to pan; cook 30 seconds, stirring constantly.
- 5Stir in broth, milk, half-and-half, and potatoes; bring to a simmer.
- 6Cover and cook 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender, stirring occasionally.
- 7Transfer 2-3 cups potato mixture to a blender or food processor.
- 8Remove center piece of blender lid or feed tube on food processor (to allow steam to escape); secure blender lid on blender.
- 9Place a clean towel over opening in blender lid (to avoid splatters).
- 10Blend until smooth; return pureed mixture to pan.
- 11Stir in salt and black pepper; sprinkle with crumbled bacon.
- 12Garnish with thyme sprigs, if desired.
Browse Our Top Chowders Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chowders Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Corn, Fingerling Potato Chowder & Applewood Smkd Bacon
Serving Size: 1 (254 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 5
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 194.1
- Calories from Fat 41
- Total Fat 4.6 g
- Saturated Fat 2.2 g
- Cholesterol 10.9 mg
- Sodium 157.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.8 g
- Sugars 7.6 g
- Protein 6.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth