Prep 5 mins
Cook 18 mins
Atol De Elote, original to El Salvador, is enjoyed throughout Central America. As bizarre as it may sound, this exotic, thick, rich drink is simply delicious. Recipe from Shortcuts to 100 Best Latin Recipes by Sergio E Yibrin
- 4 cups milk, divided
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 lb frozen whole kernel corn (yellow)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 pinch ground cinnamon
- Thaw corn.
- Place 1 1/2 cup of milk, cornstarch, corn, sugar, and cinnamon in a blender.
- Cover and blend on low speed about 2 minutes, or until smooth.
- Strain into a medium nonstick saucepan.
- Stir and press corn pulp against strainer with back of a large spoon to help liquid pass through.
- Discard corn pulp.
- Add remaining 2 1/2 cups milk, stir well.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring continuously, 18 to 20 minutes, or until slightly thicken.
- (This drink scorches easily, it is very important to use a nonstick saucepan and to stir continuously through cooking.).
- Remove from heat and let cool.
- Transfer drink to a pitcher.
- Cover and refrigerate about 4 hours, or until thoroughly chilled.
- Stir before serving.