Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
Hot dogs on a stick wrapped in a delicious corn meal bun.
- 2⁄3 cup cornmeal
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 egg (beaten)
- vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 (1 lb) package frankfurter
- wooden skewer
- COMBINE cornmeal, flour and salt in a deep narrow bowl.
- ADD milk, egg and 2 TBSP vegetable oil, mixing well; set aside.
- FOR EACH corn dog:.
- Insert wooden skewer into end of frankfurter.
- Coat with additional flour.
- DIP one at a time into corn meal mixture.
- FRY in DEEP HOT oil at 375 degrees until deep golden brown.
- Repeat with remaining franks.
I can't say we enjoyed this recipe. It turned out incredibly thin, and barely left a layer of cornbread over the hot dog. I don't know what I could have done wrong.
darlene, i made mini-dogs out of this,and i did "quality control" test on one and i found it to be sort of bland and a little on the salty side, i know the pics aren't the best, i made a mistake and used self rising flour.so i made a second batter and i added a little honey mustard. the next batch turned out better.i will make them againb ,but i will add the honey mustard.
This was my first attempt at corndogs and they were much easier than I expected. I think they were ready faster than frozen ones! I did make a few small changes and those were that I dried off the hotdogs before dipping them into the batter and I had the batter in a tall glass, which made dipping them very easy. Next time I will probably microwave the hotdogs before dipping for about 45 seconds as they didn't get as hot as I would have liked before the batter got browned. Thanks for posting, Darlene!