Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I got this recipe in an email recipe newsletter. These are a healthier version of regular corn dogs because they are baked instead of deep fried. I use the thick wieners, the ones they sell in the summertime for roasting over a campfire. I have also used leftover cooked sausage which was really yummy.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cornmeal, baking powder, sugar, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Make a well in center; add milk, eggs, and oil. Mix just until combined.
- Insert a stick (I use Popsicle sticks) into one end of each wiener, leaving enough out to hold on to without burning skin.
- Dust with flour; tap off excess.
- Using handle, rotate each sausage over bowl as you spoon batter to coat evenly.
- Place on sheet; bake 5 minutes. Remove from oven.
- Using a spatula, reapply batter that has slipped onto sheet.
- Return to oven; bake until golden, 20 minutes.
- Serve with dipping sauce of choice.