Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 mins
- 1⁄2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 6 hot dogs
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- vegetable oil, additional for deep frying
- Combine the cornmeal, flour, sugar, mustard, baking powder and salt, mixing well.
- Add the milk, egg and oil, mixing until very smooth.
- Pour the mixture into a tall glass.
- Put the frankfurters on sticks. Dip them into the cornmeal batter to coat them evenly.
- Deep fry in oil heated to 375 degrees until golden brown, about two minutes.
- Drain on paper towels.
OMG!!!! This recipe was amazing.. the only thing that I did to change it was added some honey to it. It was perfect!
The only complaint I had about this recipe is that it does not make enough lol. I ended up making 3 batches so that I could freeze some and then just pull them out of the freezer later and heat them in the toaster oven at 350 for 10 to 15 minutes. I did roll my hot dogs in flour before dipping in the batter. I made mini corn dogs and used a toothpick to roll them in the batter then removed toothpick as I was placing them in the deep fryer. Thanks for a great recipe. I will never buy another corn dog!!!
This was great! We had lots of salad and other stuff with it and had a great comfortable dinner. I followed the recipe exactly but i did not deep fry the dogs but grilled them in the oven at 320Â° for about 20 minutes. Thank you for giving as the chance to get to know this dish!