Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
A good recipe for little children.
- 1 lb hot dog
- 4 cups vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon vegetable shortening
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 8 -10 wooden skewers
- Bring 3 cups of water to boiling in a large saucepan. Add hot dogs and bring back to boiling. Remove from heat; cover 20 minutes.
- Pour enough oil to a 2-inch depth in a skillet and heat to 350 degrees.
- Combine flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt, and sugar in a medium-size bowl and blend with fork. Add shortening and cut in with fork until the size of small peas.
- Combine milk and egg in a 1 cup measure. Stir into flour- cornmeal mixture. Pour mixture into a tall glass.
- Remove hot dogs from water and dry with paper towels.
- Insert skewer into the hot dog, and be sure to leave about 1 inch for handle. Dip hot dog into batter; let excess batter drip into glass. Drop into hot fat fry 2 minutes, or until golden brown.