I love corn dogs, but don't like the deep frying. This is an easy fake out for the traditional corn dog with a lot less fat and calories. NOTE: In my orginal recipe - I said this made 12 - it does make 12 (servings that is) - BUT it makes 24 muffins. Each serving is 2 Muffins!!
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spray 24 muffin cups generously with cooking spray, or use muffin liners.
- Combine cornmeal, flour, sugar, dry mustard, baking powder, and salt in a medium-size bowl. Add milk, egg, and oil. Mix until smooth.
- Cut hot dogs into 1-inch lengths. Spoon about 1/4 cup of batter into each prepared muffin cup. Place 3 hot dog pieces in each muffin cup.
- Bake for 20 to 30 minutes, until a wooden pick inserted into the muffin comes out clean.
- Serve with mustard, ketchup and relish.
Yummy! The kids loved these, and I loved that were healthier than the ones calling for Jiffy cornbread mix (since hydrogenated lard is not something I'd feed my family:)). Used nitrate free hot dogs instead of fat free. I sprayed oil on the muffin cups and they stuck like a bear, so next time would butter generously. These could also be made in mini muffin tins for corn dog bites. For young children, I'd suggest dicing into smaller pieces to reduce choking hazard. Have seen versions with corn and/or cheese stirred in which woud also be nice variations. Thanks for sharing the recipe!
Thanks for a from scratch version of these, they were great.
These were pretty good. My family seemed to like them.