Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Vegetarian version of a classic fairground food, scaled down to muffin size. But it's still just as much fun to eat as food on a stick! Wonderful beside a cup of bean chili, or in a lunchbox. Keeps well in freezer.
- 1 (8 1/2 ounce) box Jiffy corn muffin mix
- 1 egg
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup corn kernel (frozen or fresh)
- 4 soy hot dogs, sliced thinly
- 1⁄2 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Prepare Corn muffin mix with egg and milk. Stir until moistened.
- Stir in corn kernels and sliced hot dogs.
- Spoon mixture into greased muffin tins 2/3 full. Sprinkle cheese on top of muffins.
- Bake 20 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean.
Very good! I made this with five beef hot dogs, no corn, and mixed the cheese into the batter!
What a treat to have "corn dogs" whenever we want. This recipe is really good and they do taste just like corn dogs; in fact, even better because of the cheese topping. I had planned on freezing a few of these to save as a treat for another day, but the whole batch only lasted about 10 minutes in our house. I used Hebrew National dogs too (my favorite) and they turned out nice and moist. Next time I'll make a triple batch so I know some will make it to the freezer.
I love corn dogs, but lets face it it is not diet friendly. When I came across this I was excited because I thought I found a healhty alternative that the whole family could enjoy. Boy was I right. My kids loved it! Dh and I loved it and I felt good about serving it to my family. I actually used Hebrew National 97% fat free dogs instead of vegetarian. I used the whole package (5 dogs) instead of four. My son loved helping to make this. Thanks for a great recipe.