Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
I got the idea from a Corn Dog muffin recipe. I did not have the correct ingredients. So I had to make due. My kids love it. They always have an extra piece. You can also substitute veggie hot dogs for the regular hot dogs. The brown sugar makes it a bit more sweet.
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 2 eggs (lightly beaten)
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 1 (10 count) package hot dogs
- Preheat oven to 350 F and lightly grease baking pan.
- (11 X 7) Combine flour, brown sugar, corn meal, baking powder, and salt in a bowl.
- Mix together.
- Set aside.
- Combine milk, eggs, butter.
- Mix well.
- Add dry mixture to wet mixture, stir until just blended.
- Pour into baking pan.
- Cut hot dogs into bite size pieces.
- Sprinkle hot dogs into mixture.
- Bake at 350 F for 35 minutes or until golden brown.
Have made these a couple of times now. Kids have loved them as muffins and as cake. They didn't seem to notice that I substituted whole wheat flour and added a little wheat germ and flax seed. lol Sneak it when you can when it comes to the kids!
I was looking for a recipe to use up some hot dogs I had, and all of the muffin recipes called for corn bread mix, I didn't have any so this recipe worked for what I had. It was really simple, I baked it in muffin pan and only cooked it for 25 min instead and I also only made half the recipe just in case we didn't enjoy it but that was a mistake! My husband, 2 year old, and I ate them all and wanted more! Thanks, we will be making this again!
This was really simple and was an easy dinner option. My picky son ate it, and my husband and I enjoyed it as well. I honestly have to say I liked it best cold out of the refrigerator the next day... The corn meal was a little too crunchy for this to taste exactly like corn dogs, but it made me feel like it must be a little healthier than corn dogs for that exact reason! Thanks for posting this winner! ETA: I use a 9x13 inch pan for this and it works out well!