Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 mins
Very good and very easy. I;ve had this recipes for along time,I believe I got it from a magazine.
- 10 frank hot dogs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons melted bacon drippings
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 1⁄4 cups buttermilk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- Prepared mustard, catsup, picante ,sauce optional.
- Combine flour, baking powder, salt, cornmeal and sugar, stir in bacon drippings. Combine egg, buttermilk, and soda; mix well.
- Cut each frankfurter into 10 pieces.
- Dip sections in batter, coating well. Fry 3-4 minute in hot oil until golden brown. Drain.
It's a pretty runny batter that couldn't stick to the hot dogs. Sorry I don't know if it's something I did wrong, but this just not did not work for me.
These bring back good memories for me. I used to love to go to the bowling alley when I was small to watch my parents. The fry cook there used to make them for the kids and my mother would make these for me when I was home sick from school.