Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Variations: Add 2 tablespoons chopped jalapenos to the mix. Add 1/4 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- Cook cornmeal in a saucepan with butter, salt, sugar and milk until the mixture comes to a boil.
- Turn off heat, cover, and let stand 5 minutes.
- Add baking powder.
- Spoon the mix onto a greased cookie sheet in heaping tablespoon-size balls, then bake.
- Bake for 10 to 15 minutes.
- They are done when slightly brown around the edges.
- Cut laterally and fill with honey butter.
I am over 70 yrs of age and had never heard of Corn Dodgers till last week when my hubby mentioned them! Tried your recipe tonight for a "before bedtime" snack -- they were delicious, and really quick and easy to make. Being a basically lazy soul, I used parchment paper instead of greasing a baking sheet, and it worked well. I put a variety of jams and honey on the table -- my guy ate four!! Next time perhaps I'll try them with the cheese, jalapenos, or both. Bet they would go really well with a good stew! Thank you, Leslie, for a real treat. Gwen