Recipe by s'kat
Nothing as good as cornbread straight from the oven! These are perfect dunking material for palaver (recipe is also posted).
Top Review by blancpage
I missed the non-star review on this recipe when I chose it for My-3-Chefs, so I'll just review it without getting credit for the game tag. Anyhow, I had intended on halving this recipe, but accidentally used the entire 1 cup boiling water, which created a cornmeal soup, so I added another 1/2 cup cornmeal and 1/4 tsp salt, but forgot to add any extra butter. I used Smart Balance 50/50 Butter Blend in this I got 8 total and 20 mins was perfect to get them browned and crispy on edges and done inside. This is not a typical cornbread recipe that I'm used to making. The density and texture of these were like cornmeal cookies but with no sweetness. In fact, these were really bland. I used a foil-lined baking sheet and these stuck. I was able to peel the foil away and keep these intact. With a bit of Smart Balance with flaxseed Oil spread on them, they were okay, and with the chili I made for dinner, they were okay. My bf tried them and did not like them at all. 4 stars for great directions, ease of making and simplicity, but a 2 for taste, for 3 stars total. I'm sorry these just weren't to our liking. Thanks for sharing, it was nice to try something new and different for cornbread.
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400-degrees, and ready an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Blend the cornmeal and salt.
- With a wooden spoon, mix in the butter and enough boiling water to make a dough that is completely moist, but firm enough to hold its shape.
- Drop heaping spoonfuls of the batter on the cookie sheet and pat lightly into mounds.
- Bake 20- 25 minutes, until golden-crisp on the outside.
- Serve straight from the oven.