Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Johnnycake brought west. From the Mississippi Valley chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947. Vegetarian if vegetable shortening is used.
- 473.18 ml cornmeal
- 4.92 ml salt
- 9.85 ml fat, melted (bacon fat adds flavor, but lard, butter or vegetable shortening may also be used)
- 473.18 ml water, boiling
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Combine corn meal, salt and fat; add boiling water and beat thoroughly.
- Spread batter in pie plates 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until crisp and brown.
- Serve hot with butter, gravy or as a side to stews.
Interesting recipe. We tried creamy polenta last week and liked it; now I wanted something with similar ingredients (cornmeal, no flour) but cakelike instead of creamy. This fit the bill. My husband, who likes all things cornmeal and also is fascinated with history, thought this was great. I am not a big fan; it's a tough, plain corn-cake. Slightly moist inside. I halved the recipe and used a 10inch pie plate. I liked it with chili.