Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
Sweet and spicy.The cob add a little more flavor but can be ommitted.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 2 potatoes, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 chipotle chiles in adobo, seeded and diced
- 2 cups fresh corn, shucked, get as much milk you can from the cobs
- 2 lbs lump crabmeat
- 2 cups clam broth
- 2 cups cream
- salt and pepper
- Heat butter in a large saucepan add onions, peppers, celery, potatoes, and garlic seasoned with salt and pepper cooking till translucent.
- Add chipotle peppers, clam juice and corn kernels and cobs.
- Simmer 15 minutes remove cobs and leave as much broth in pot toss cobs.
- Add cream simmer 5 more minutes.
- Add crabmeat to heat and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Deee-licious! I cut way back on the chipotle pepper for my kids. I only used 3/4 on one. I also had to use chicken stock instead of clam juice. Very tasty, will make again for sure.
Very good,I made it just like the recipe said, except I used canned Crab meat, Also 1 can of clams plus the clam juice. Be careful of how much of the chipotle chiles in adobo sauce that you use, Unless you like it really hot. I used 1&1/2 chiles (seeds removed) it was a little to spicey for us, but very good tasting except for that.The corn cob does add a lot of flavor. I will be making this again but with less chile's. Thank you Rita for posting the recipe.
Excellent recipe - DH said it was better than our local fish place. I did make a few changes: 1) Used 1/2 crab and 1/2 shrimp. Crab is a little rich for me. 1 lb of crab really flaovered it and there was lots of it. 2) Only 1 chipotle - and that was just the right spice for me! 3) Forgot to buy clam juice - so I used chicken stock. I used pastuerized crab in the refrigerator case and did not drain it - so that helped make up the difference. 4) Used half and half and a bit of skim milk instead of the cream. - A bit thin - but I like my chowder thin. Very quick and Easy - definitely in my regular rotation