Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
More comfort food from Toronto Chef Cristine Cushing! While its best to use fresh corn, especially when in season, frozen corn will be okay.
- 3 slices smoked bacon
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 sweet red pepper, diced
- 3 cups corn kernels
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup whipping cream
- 1⁄2 chipotle chile in adobo, minced,to taste
- milk, to taste
- coarse salt
- freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- Cook bacon in a large saucepan over medium-high heat just until crisp.
- Remove bacon and drain on paper towel.
- Set aside.
- Reserve 1 tbsp.
- of bacon in the saucepan and remove some of the bacon fat from pan and discard.
- Use the same saucepan to cook the chowder.
- Reduce heat to medium and add onion, garlic and celery to the saucepan.
- Sauté until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add stock and potatoes and bring to a boil.
- Cover and simmer for 10 minutes, until potatoes are slightly tender.
- Add red pepper, corn, whipping cream, chipotle pepper and continue to cook for another 10 minutes or until vegetables are soft.
- Crumble reserved bacon and stir into soup.
- If chowder is too thick, adjust with ¼ cup of milk and just reheat until steaming.
- Season with salt and pepper and stir in cilantro.