Recipe by Lisa1
This is a favorite in our home. I believe I got this from 'Food & Wine"
Top Review by Colleen M.
It deserves more like 3-1/2 stars. I'll definalely try making it again, but with a few changes I made this time around. I added a vegetable bouillon cube, about 2 tbsp of butter, and I didn't do it this time around, but I think next time I would double the bacon in it.
- 6 ounces thickly sliced bacon, coarsely chopped
- 1 large red onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped celery
- 3 cups frozen corn, thawed
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1 lb red potatoes, scrubbed and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons minced chives, plus more for garnish
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Tabasco sauce (to taste)
- 1⁄2 lb medium sea scallops
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan, cook the bacon over moderately low heat until crisp, 10 minutes. Transfer the bacon to paper towels to drain.
- Pour off 2 tablespoons of the bacon fat and reserve. Add the onion and celery to the pan. Cook over low heat until softened, 12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a food processor, puree 1 cup of the corn with 1 cup of the milk.
- Add the corn puree to the saucepan along with the remaining 2 cups each of corn and milk and the potatoes.
- Simmer over low heat until the potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Stir in the cream, chives and the reserved bacon. Season with salt, pepper and Tabasco and keep warm.
- In a large skillet, heat the reserved 2 tablespoons of bacon fat until shimmering.
- Add the scallops, season with salt and pepper and cook over moderately high heat until browned, about 1 1/2 minutes per side.
- Ladle the soup into bowls; top with the scallops and chives and serve.