With fall fast approaching and longing for a steaming bowl of soup, I dug into the huge pile of my recipes that I have yet to put here, and came across this one! A hearty rich chowder that will keep you warm from the icy cold north winds!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 medium carrot, finely chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 1 sprig fresh tarragon
- 2 (16 ounce) cans whole potatoes, drained
- 2 (16 ounce) cans whole kernel corn, drained
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- 2 canned pimientos, drained and diced
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 1/2-2 cups diced smoked ham
- additional chopped parsley (to garnish)
- 1In large (3-quart or so) saucepan,combine broth, onion and carrots.
- 2Tie together bay leaf and fresh herbs to make a bouquet garni.
- 3Add to saucepan and bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes.
- 4Remove herbs. Remove pan from heat.
- 5Dice canned potatoes *reserving 1 cup. Set 1 cup's worth aside.
- 6Put rest of potatoes and 1 can of corn in the blender. Blend til smooth, add to saucepan. (*You can also do this in the saucepan instead of the blender with a Magic Wand hand mixer.).
- 7Return pan to heat (about medium), and add the rest of the potatoes (the 1 cup you reserved), the second can of corn, the half and half and the diced ham.
- 8Bring just to a boil, reduce heat and simmer on low for 5 minutes.
- 9Stir in pimientos and parsley.
- 10Season with a little pepper or hot sauce if desired, to taste.
- 11Taste for saltiness, add salt only if needed. *Ham can be very salty so be careful adding only a little at a time.
- 12Ladle into bowls and garnish with additional parsley.
- 13Serve with warm crusty bread or fresh baked cornbread and butter!
Browse Our Top Chowders Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Corn Chowder W/Fresh Herbs, Potatoes and Smoked Ham
Serving Size: 1 (523 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 463.3
- Calories from Fat 67
- Total Fat 7.4 g
- Saturated Fat 2.9 g
- Cholesterol 11.1 mg
- Sodium 1497.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 91.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.1 g
- Sugars 10.6 g
- Protein 16.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: