Prep 25 mins
Cook 35 mins
A hearty and flavorful soup that is super easy! This is a classic recipe, except that cashew cream replaces the dairy! And instead of the traditional bacon, smoky chipotle pepper is added. Adapted from Chef Tal Ronnen's The Conscious Cook.
- sea salt
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups vidalia onions, diced (or other sweet onions)
- 2 large carrots, peeled, diced 1/4-inch
- 1 celery, diced 1/4-inch
- 1 red bell pepper, diced 1/4-inch
- 1 dried chipotle pepper (use the canned)
- 5 cups vegetable broth (if you can find faux chicken stock, use that)
- 2 large yukon gold potatoes, peeled, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 2 fresh thyme sprigs
- 6 ears raw corn (kernels cut off corn)
- 2 ears roasted corn (or grilled)
- 1 1⁄2 cups thick cashew cream (Cashew Cream(Regular and Thick))
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chives, minced
- 1⁄2 cup diced tomato
- Place a large stockpot over medium heat. Sprinkle the bottom with a pinch of salt and heat for 1 minute. Add the oil and heat for 30 seconds, being careful not to let it smoke. This will create a nonstick effect.
- Add the onions, carrots, celery, bell pepper, and chipotle peppper. Saute for about 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the stock, potatoes, and thyme and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until the potatoes are tender, 15-20 minutes.
- With the back of a spoon, smash some of the potatoes against the side of the pot and stir to thicken the soup. Add the raw corn and cashew cream, season with salt and pepper to taste. Simmer fo 15 minutes, then remove the chipotle pepper and thyme sprigs.
- Garnish with the chives, tomato, and roasted corn kernels. Enjoy! :).