Recipe by lazyme
This is a recipe that I found a few years ago in the Rosie Daley cookbook when she was Oprah's personal chef. It's simple to do and very tasty. Sometimes I only puree half of the mixture so that there is a little more substance to the soup.
- cooking spray
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 6 cups fresh corn kernels
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup red pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- cayenne, to taste
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat a large, heavy saucepan over medium heat for about 1 minute.
- Spray it twice with the vegetable oil.
- Saute the onion for about 5 minutes, until translucent.
- Add 4 cups of corn and saute for 4-5 minutes, until it softens a bit.
- Add 2 cups of chicken stock and cook until the corn can be mashed easily with a fork, about 20 minutes.
- Transfer the contents of the pan to a blender and puree until smooth.
- Return the puree to the saucepan over medium-low heat.
- Add the bell pepper, rosemary, thyme, black pepper, cayenne pepper, and the remaining 1 cup chicken stock and 2 cups corn.
- Stir and cook for about 10 minutes more, until the chowder is thick and creamy.
- Garnish with the chopped basil.