Prep 25 mins
Cook 50 mins
I love this recipe because it has a little bit of kick to it. Recipe courtesy of Pioneer Woman and The Pioneer Woman Cooks--Food From My Frontier.
- 5 ears corn, shucked
- 2 slices bacon, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 -3 chipotle peppers (in adobo sauce, finely diced)
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 4 ounces green chilies, diced
- 3 tablespoons cornmeal
- corn tortilla, for serving
- Slice the kernels off the corn cob.
- Cut bacon into 1 inch pieces and cook in large pot over medium heat until the fat begins to render, about 2 minutes.
- Add the diced onion to the pot and cook it until the onion is translucent and the bacon is cooked but still chewy, about 5 minutes.
- Throw in the corn kernels and stir.
- Mince chipotle peppers and stir them into the corn. Continue cooking for about 3 minutes.
- Pour in the low sodium chicken broth followed by a splash of heavy cream.
- Stir to combine.
- Add the green chilies.
- Let the soup simmer for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Mix the cornmeal with 1/4 cup water and stir together.
- Stir the mixture into the soup and simmer for another 10 minutes, or until thickened.
- Taste and add salt if needed.
- Serve in bowls with warm corn tortillas on the side.