Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
- to taste non-fat cooking spray (vegetable oil)
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 6 cups fresh corn kernels, with any milk (12 ears - collected when removed from the cob)
- 3 cups chicken stock, fat skimmed off
- 1⁄2 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
- Preheat a large, heavy saucepan over medium heat for about 1 minute. Spray it twice with the vegetable oil.
- Saute the onion for about 5 minutes, until translucent. Add 4 cups of the corn and saute' for 4 to 5 minutes, until it softens a bit. Add 2 cups of the chicken stock and cook until the corn can be mashed easily with a fork, about 20 minutes.
- Transfer the contents of the pan to a blender and puree until smooth.
- Return the puree to the saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the bell pepper, rosemary, thyme, black pepper, cayenne pepper, and the remaining 1 cup chicken stock and 2 cups corn.
- Stir and cook for about 10 minutes more, until the chowder is thick and creamy.
- Garnish with the chopped basil.