Prep 20 mins
Cook 7 hrs
from the Rival Crock-Pot Cooking Cookbook.
- 6 slices bacon, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 2 cups potatoes, diced, peeled
- 20 ounces frozen whole kernel corn, broken apart
- 16 ounces cream-style corn
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup water
- In skillet or microwave, fry bacon until crisp; remove and reserve.
- Add onion and potatoes to bacon drippings and saute' for about 5 minutes; drain well.
- Combine all ingredients in Crock pot. Stir well.
- Cover and cook on LOW setting for 6 - 7 hours.
This really is a great recipe. I substitute Chicken Broth for the water and at the end I add some cream (Heavy, Light or Half & Half) just to add some creamy richness. Also for a special twist add some cooked baby shrimp (peeled & de-viened of course) 15-20 minutes before serving. And plenty of cracked Pepper and Soda Crackers :-) Enjoy.
Why oh why haven t I rated this before? Been making my corn chowder this exact way for years now. Its absolutely the best corn chowder you will ever find! Few changes tough :) First of all skip the water and add 2 cups of good quality chicken stock. I make my own and freeze for later use. Secondly I add a 1/2 to a 1 cup of heavy cream few minutes before serving. This is a wonderful meal that everyone one in my house enjoys!
This is one of my favorite comfort foods. I have used this recipe for years with the exception that I have always used milk instead of the water. Tonight, I will be adding the shrimp.