Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Recipe is from Rachael Ray.
Make and share this Corn Chowdah Mac 'n' Cheese recipe from Food.com.
- salt and black pepper
- 1 lb mezzi rigatoni pasta, penne rigate or 1 lb cavatappi pasta
- 4 ears corn, husked
- olive oil, for drizzling
- 1⁄4 lb bacon, chopped into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 baking potato, peeled and diced into 1/4- to 1/2-inch pieces
- 1⁄2 tablespoon Old Bay Seasoning
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 red chili pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 small red bell pepper, chopped into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 few sprigs thyme, chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 grates fresh nutmeg
- 1 cup grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil, salt it, add the pasta and cook to al dente. Drain and return to the pot. While the pasta is working, position a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat the broiler. Place a small bowl upside down in a large bowl. Stand each ear of corn on the small bowl and scrape down the kernels.
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Add a drizzle of EVOO and the bacon and cook until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the bacon to a paper-towel-lined plate.
- Add the corn, potato and Old Bay to the bacon drippings in the skillet and brown for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the celery, chile pepper, bell pepper, onion and garlic; season with the thyme, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in the flour, then the milk; season with the mustard, cayenne, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Cook until the sauce coats a spoon thickly; lower the heat to low. Stir in the parmigiano-reggiano.
- Add the corn-potato mixture and the white sauce to the pasta in the pot and stir together. Transfer to a casserole or serving dish, top with the cheddar and bacon and broil until brown and bubbly, 3 to 5 minutes. Serve immediately.