Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
I got a version of this from a neighbor as a kid. I was the local latchkey child, and all the moms pitched in to help me learn "the skills of a lady" (this was a while ago!) It's a staple in our house. We make this when we want a hearty, simple, one-dish meal that takes less than 30 minutes! You can add all sorts of things to this, potatoes, bell pepper, bacon, etc. but this is the way we almost always make it. The cheapest creamed corn doesn't taste as good to us, so we use a name brand. They're still pretty cheap, less than .75 a can usually. I don't add salt since the corn and the cheese are both salty.
- 1⁄2 onion, chopped
- 2 (15 ounce) cans creamed corn
- 1⁄4 cup milk (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese, chunked
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- Put the oil in a saucepan big enough to hold all of the ingredients. Heat the oil on medium, till hot, but not smoking. Add the onion Turn down the heat to low and sauté the onion until translucent and soft. Add the creamed corn.
- If you didn't get all of the corn out of the cans, put the milk in one can and use a spoon to swirl it around to get as much of the corn as possible, pour into the second can and repeat. Then, add the corn/milk mixture to the corn.
- Heat the corn until it starts to steam and bubble. Turn off the heat. Stir in the pepper and 1/2 of the chunked cheese. Stir until the cheese is all (or partly) melted.
- Have ready two bowls. Divide the remaining cheese chunks between the bowls. Pour a serving of soup in each bowl over the cheese. Enjoy!
This is a great soup. It is very fast and easy to put together. It reheats great too; I took some leftovers to work for lunch. Thanks!
good and easy. my only complaint is that it tasted just like creamed corn and not much else. it was good though, i like creamed corn! i added imitation bacon bits (im a veg), and green onions.yes potatos would be good too.
This was so so easy. The only thing I changes was i added bite size pieces of potato with the onion. It took a little longer but so worth it. I also used shredded cheese (had it in the frig.). I topped it with crispy bacon bits and served with crusty hard rolls. It was a huge hit. Thank you so much for the recipe.