Recipe by Kumquat the Cat's friend
Truly the best soup I ever tasted. It's quick and easy and always turns out great. It's an adaptation of a recipe from a James McNair cookbook I found years ago and have been making it ever since. As you probably already know, if you like cheese soup to be as smooth as possible use processed cheese like Velveeta. Adding 1 cup of milk makes a richer soup, but it could be omitted and would still taste great.
Top Review by StacyMD187373
I really enjoyed this soup. Good flavor, mild taste from the green chilies. I did add the milk, used some velveeta, although less than called for and left out the salt and cayenne. Will make again!
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen corn
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced (or pressed)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup fresh tomato, chopped (or canned and drained)
- 1 (4 ounce) can green chilies, diced
- 3 cups vegetable broth (or 2 Knorr vegetable bouillon cubes dissolved in 3 cups water)
- 12 ounces low-fat sharp cheddar cheese or 12 ounces Velveeta cheese, shredded
- 1 cup milk (optional)
- salt, to taste
- cayenne pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- melt butter in large saucepan over medium heat.
- add onion and saute until soft, about 5 minutes.
- stir in garlic and saute 1 minute.
- add flour and stir for 2 minutes.
- add corn, chiles, tomatoes and broth.
- bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- slowly stir cheese (and milk if desired) into soup and heat, stirring frequently until cheese melts, about 5 minutes.
- do not bring to a boil.
- add salt and cayenne pepper to taste and serve.