Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
I have used frozen, defrosted corn with good results.
- 1 1⁄2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons double-acting baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup fresh corn kernels, including the pulp scraped from the cobs (cut from about 2 ears of corn)
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 3 scallions, sliced thin
- Grease a jelly-roll pan, 15 1/2 by 10 1/2 by 1 inch.
- Into a bowl sift together the cornmeal, the flour, the sugar, the baking powder, the baking soda, and the salt.
- In a small bowl beat together the eggs and the buttermilk.
- To the cornmeal mixture add the buttermilk mixture, the corn, the Cheddar, and the scallions, stir the batter until it is just combined, and pour it into the pan, spreading it evenly.
- Bake the corn bread in the middle of a preheated 425°F oven for 8 to 10 minutes, or until a tester comes out clean.