Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is a sweet cake similar to a firm custard cake. Dust with confectioners sugar, serve as is with coffee, or add fresh raspberries.Great gluten free dessert too.
- 2 cups frozen corn kernels, defrosted
- 1⁄2 cup whole milk
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 7 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 4 egg yolks, large
- 6 tablespoons fine asian rice flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup evaporated milk or 1⁄4 cup cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 egg whites, beaten to soft peaks
- Add the two cups of corn to the 1/2 cup milk and process until blended semi smooth, set aside.
- Beat the 1/2 cup butter room temperature with the sugar until fluffy.
- Add in the egg yolks one at a time, and continue to beat until thick smooth creamy.
- Add the blended dry ingredients with the evaporated milk, to make a smooth batter.
- Fold in the corn mixture, or beat in with beaters.
- Beat your egg whites with a pinch of salt, until soft peaks form.
- Fold the beaten whites into the corn batter, folding not to deflate, some whites showing is okay.
- Pour slowly into a 8 inch greased cake pan.
- Bake 30- 35 minutes at 350 degrees until toothpick comes out clean. It will be a very dark golden brown, may take longer, just make sure jiggle is gone from centre of cake, and the toothpick or tester is clean.
- Let cool in pan on wire rack.
- When cool dust with icing sugar.
- Serve alone with a cup of coffee or with fresh berries.
- This recipe can be doubled.
- Do not freeze. Keep leftovers in fridge.