Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
In 'Comfort Food Fix' by Ellie Krieger
- nonstick cooking spray
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat pastry flour or 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 1 1⁄4 cups low-fat buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 cups fresh corn kernels or 2 cups thawed frozen corn kernels
- Position oven rack in the center of oven; preheat to 350°.
- Lightly spray a 9 x 5 inch loaf pan with cooking spray.
- In a big bowl, whisk together the flours, cornmeal, baking powder, and salt.
- In another bowl, whisk together the egg, egg white, buttermilk, honey, and oil.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, mixing just enough to combine them; stir in the corn.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake until the top is golden brown and a wooden pick comes out with a few crumbs, about 45 minutes.
- Let cool in the pan for 15 minutes, then transfer the bread to a wire rack to cool completely before slicing.
- Serving size-one 1-inch thick slice; calories 220, total fat 7 g, carb 36 g, fiber 3 g.