Prep 0 mins
Cook 1 hr
I found this in my Joy of Cooking cookbook.
- 453.59 g ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 236.59 ml canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 236.59 ml canned corn or 236.59 ml frozen corn, drained
- 236.59 ml tomato sauce
- 236.59 ml water or 236.59 ml beef broth or 236.59 ml chicken broth
- 118.29 ml green bell pepper, diced
- 14.79 ml chili powder
- 2.46 ml ground cumin
- 4.92 ml salt
- 1.23 ml black pepper
- 177.44 ml cornmeal
- 14.79 ml all-purpose flour
- 14.79 ml sugar
- 7.39 ml baking powder
- 2.46 ml salt
- 1 egg
- 78.07 ml milk
- 14.79 ml vegetable oil
- Sauté the ground beef and onion over medium heat.
- When onion is translucent and the meat is browned, add black beans, corn, tomato sauce, broth or water, bell pepper, chili powder, cumin, salt, pepper and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Set aside and prepeat the oven to 425°F
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg, milk, and vegetable oil.
- Pour the milk mix ingredients over the cornmeal mix and whisk together until well-combined.
- Spread the meat mixture into a 3 quart casserole and cover with the corn bread topping. Don't worry if the cornbread falls into the meat mixture; it will rise while baking.
- Bake until corn bread is brown, about 20-25 minutes.