I found this in my Joy of Cooking cookbook.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup canned corn or 1 cup frozen corn, drained
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 cup water or 1 cup beef broth or 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper, diced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3/4 cup cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1Sauté the ground beef and onion over medium heat.
- 2When onion is translucent and the meat is browned, add black beans, corn, tomato sauce, broth or water, bell pepper, chili powder, cumin, salt, pepper and simmer for 15 minutes.
- 3Set aside and prepeat the oven to 425°F
- 4In a medium bowl, whisk together the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- 5In a small bowl, whisk together the egg, milk, and vegetable oil.
- 6Pour the milk mix ingredients over the cornmeal mix and whisk together until well-combined.
- 7Spread the meat mixture into a 3 quart casserole and cover with the corn bread topping. Don't worry if the cornbread falls into the meat mixture; it will rise while baking.
- 8Bake until corn bread is brown, about 20-25 minutes.
Browse Our Top < 60 Mins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Corn Bread Tamale Pie
Serving Size: 1 (316 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 363.7
- Calories from Fat 145
- Total Fat 16.2 g
- Saturated Fat 5.5 g
- Cholesterol 88.5 mg
- Sodium 1133.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.1 g
- Sugars 6.3 g
- Protein 21.1 g