Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I found this in my Joy of Cooking cookbook.
Make and share this Corn Bread Tamale Pie recipe from Food.com.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup canned corn or 1 cup frozen corn, drained
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 cup water or 1 cup beef broth or 1 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup green bell pepper, diced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3⁄4 cup cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Sauté the ground beef and onion over medium heat.
- When onion is translucent and the meat is browned, add black beans, corn, tomato sauce, broth or water, bell pepper, chili powder, cumin, salt, pepper and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Set aside and prepeat the oven to 425°F
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg, milk, and vegetable oil.
- Pour the milk mix ingredients over the cornmeal mix and whisk together until well-combined.
- Spread the meat mixture into a 3 quart casserole and cover with the corn bread topping. Don't worry if the cornbread falls into the meat mixture; it will rise while baking.
- Bake until corn bread is brown, about 20-25 minutes.