Recipe by cisquester
My cornbread my family way. My Grandfather use to crumble a piece of this cornbread in a tall glass of milk and eat it at supper.
Top Review by Heidi R.
Have been looking for the perfect corn bread recipe. This is not it. Needs a hint of sweetness and some more moisture in the batter I think. Would be good for a cornbread to soak in soup...
- 2 1⁄4 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups buttermilk (Milk if you have)
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons shortening or 3 tablespoons bacon grease
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheating your oven to 450 degrees.
- Put a 9" cast iron skillet on the stove over medium heat and put the shortening in the skillet.
- Mix all the dry ingredients together in one bowl.
- Mix the egg and buttermilk (milk) together in another bowl.
- Mix the dry and wet ingredients together.
- When you start to see little wisps of smoke coming from the hot shortening, pour most, not all of the shortening into the cornbread batter and mix well.
- Then pour the batter into the hot skillet. Remove after a few minutes.
- Place in the middle of the preheated oven and bake about 30 minutes, until nice and brown on top.