Recipe by lazyme
These take a little bit of work to make the corn boats, but the presentation is outstanding and guests always rave.
Top Review by ratgirl13
I made this recipe many years ago out of Bon Appetit. I wanted to make it again for my mom's birthday dinner. I had not kept the recipe, so was glad to see it here. They do take a little bit of prep, but the end presentation is so worth it, and the combo of corn, squash and red onion is always a hit. I sprinkled mine with some fresh chopped basil when they came out of the oven. Thanks for posting the recipe!
- 4 ears corn, unhusked
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium zucchini, 1/3-inch dice
- 1 cup red onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup monterey jack cheese, with hot peppers, grated
- 2 tablespoons tortilla chips, finely crushed
Directions See How It's Made
- Pull a lengthwise strip of corn husk (about 1 to 1 1/2 inches wide) from each ear to expose a strip of kernels and discard husk strip.
- Carefully peel back remaining husks, keeping them attached to stem ends, and snap ears from stem ends.
- Discard silk from husks.
- Tear a thin strip from a tender, inner piece of each husk and use it to tie loose end of each husk together, forming a boat.
- Cut corn kernels from ears and discard cobs.
- In a large heavy skillet heat oil over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking and sauté zucchini, stirring occasionally, until browned lightly and just tender, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Transfer zucchini with slotted spoon to a bowl and season with salt.
- In oil remaining in skillet sauté corn kernels and onion with salt to taste over moderately high heat, stirring, 4 minutes and cook, covered, over low heat until corn is crisp-tender, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add corn mixture to zucchini and season with salt.
- Cool filling and stir in cheese.
- Spoon filling into husk boats. (Corn boats may be prepared up to this point 1 day ahead and kept chilled, covered.).
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Arrange boats on a baking sheet and sprinkle filling with tortilla crumbs.
- Bake boats in upper third of oven until cheese is melted and filling is heated through, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Serve corn boats warm or at room temperature.