Recipe by Sharon123
A lovely recipe with it's roots in Russia. Adapted from Cooking Light magazine. To make this vegetarian, just leave out the smoked salmon.
Top Review by Lavender Lynn
This is good and easy to make. I I followed ingredients per recipe except for the salmon. (DS doesn't like salmon). The sour cream topping seems strange in our syrup and butter world, but turned out to be a good match with a pancake wrapped around a bit of the topping and eaten out of hand. Made for ZWT4.
- 1⁄3 cup light sour cream
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh chives
- 1 ear shucked corn (about 1 to 1 1/2 cups)
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons yellow cornmeal (fine ground)
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 large egg white
- cooking spray
- 4 ounces smoked salmon, cut into 24 strips (2-inch wide)
- chopped fresh chives (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine sour cream and chives in a small bowl. Cover and chill.
- Cut kernels from ear of corn. Scrape remaining pulp from cob using the dull side of a knife blade. Discard cob. Set corn aside.
- Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine flour and cornmeal in a medium bowl; make a well in the center of the mixture. Combine milk and egg yolk in a small bowl, stir well with whisk. Add milk mixture to flour mixture, and stir with a whisk until just moist. Stir in corn, salt, and pepper.
- Place egg white in a bowl, beat with a mixer at high speed until foamy. Gently fold egg white mixture into corn mixture.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Spoon 1 tbls. batter per blini onto pan, spreading to about 2" diameter. Cook 2 minutes or until tops are covered with bubbles and edges begin to set. Carefully turn blinis over, cook for 1 more mintue. Transfer blinis to a serving platter, and arrange in a single layer; keep warm. Repeat process with the remaining batter. Top each blini with with 1 piece salmon and 1 teaspoons sour cream mixture. Garnish with chopped chives, if using.
- Makes 8 servings.