Recipe by Kaysma
This is a wonderful, chunky, "meal in a bowl" chowder that gains rave reviews whenever i serve it. It is my own recipe, adapted from a roasted corn and sweet potato chowder recipe by Lucy Waverman. My dad, who can't STAND yams or sweet potatoes, always asks me to make my delicious "carrot" soup when he comes to visit (what he doesn't know won't hurt him!). Although this looks time consuming, if you prep and chop your ingredients before hand, you can throw this together quite quickly. Serving size is approximate - depending on if you eat this as a meal or a side dish. Enjoy!
Top Review by AmyZoe
I loved this! I had some fresh frozen cilantro, and I threw it in the soup instead of serving it with individual bowls. The cilantro and the hot sauce make the meal. I skipped the sour cream because I didn't think it needed any. THANK YOU!
- 2 cups frozen corn kernels
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 2 large yams, peeled and diced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 5 cups chicken stock or 5 cups vegetable stock (may need more)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot sauce (i use tobasco)
- 1 bay leaf
- salt (to taste)
- black pepper (to taste)
- 2 (19 ounce) cans kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1⁄4 cup chopped cilantro
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat.
- add onion and saute until soft and slightly browned.
- Add garlic, red pepper, yams and chili powder.
- Saute for 2-3 mins.
- Add chicken stock and hot pepper sauce, bring to a boil and simmer for about 10 min.
- Add corn, beans and bay leaf.
- Add extra chicken stock to achieve desired cosistency.
- Simmer for 5-10 minutes or until vegetables are fork tender (or to your liking) Remove bay leaf and season with salt and pepper.
- Ladle soup into bowls and top with sour cream and fresh cilantro.
- Serve with fresh, sliced, warm sourdough bread or crusty rolls.